The Format And Guidelines of Writing Scholarly Essays
A scholarly essay is different from a generic essay because the audience of scholarly essay is your fellow scholars. Therefore, to write a scholarly essay, you will have to conduct effective research and you will have to present your point of view in a unique way.
|To write a scholarly essay, you should adopt a plain and clear writing style and you should try to create unique and original content.|
While writing a scholarly essay, it is also necessary for you to adjust your thinking. To write a scholarly essay, your writing style should be very clear to the audience members and you should have enough command on your subject. If the students are not able to write a scholarly essay, they can get help from essay writing services. Some essential guidelines and format to write a scholarly essay are given below;
Format of a scholarly essayStructure and format are two essential things to remember while creating a monument of a scholarly essay. Some essential tips about the format of a scholarly essay are given below;
1) Writing styleYou can write an essay in MLA, APA or Chicago writing style. Before selecting a particular writing style for your essay, you should read out the requirements and guidelines of your advisor and try to select such a writing style that is recommended by your advisor.
2) Font size and font styleUsually, the font style for a scholarly essay is Time New Roman and the font size is 12 points.
3) SpacingThere should be double spacing between words throughout the whole essay. As we know that a scholarly essay consists of five paragraphs. Therefore, each paragraph of your essay should start with indentation.
4) MarginsThere should one-inch margin from all sides of the page.
5) Page numbersYou should provide numbering to all the pages of your scholarly essay. These page numbers should be included on the top left side of the page.
6) TitleThe title of your scholarly essay should be centered and it should be written above the first line of the essay. The font style and font size of your title should be the same as in the essay.
After properly formatting the essay, there comes the structure of an essay. The structure of an essay is divided into three sections and these three sections are divided into five paragraphs. The introductory section of your essay should be written in the first paragraph. The body of your essay should consist of three paragraphs. The concluding section of your essay should also consist of only one paragraph.
Guidelines to write a scholarly essayAfter getting an idea about the structure and format of a scholarly essay, you should try to know the possible guidelines to create a monument of a scholarly essay. These guidelines are given below;
1) ThesisThesis statement consists of the main insight or main theme of your essay and in the most part of the essay; you will have to demonstrate your thesis statement. Thesis statement of a scholarly essay should be true and arguable. You should provide such arguments in your thesis statement for which you have enough evidence and supporting examples.
2) AgendaThere should be a particular agenda in your scholarly essay and this agenda should not be relevant to you only rather than this agenda should also be interesting and relevant to all the audience members. Therefore, you should try to accomplish the agenda of your essay with analysis, description and arguments. An agenda of your essay should also provide a sense of direction to the audience members.
3) EvidenceAfter presenting the argument in the thesis statement, it is also necessary for you to prove true these arguments. You can easily prove your arguments with the help of facts, quotes, examples and details. For the purpose of persuading the audience members, you should try to provide the right kinds of evidence.
4) AnalysisThe analysis is also considered as one of the most important parts of your scholarly essay. With the help of analysis, you should try to draw the significance or implication of your arguments. The analysis provides an idea about the sense of the writer to the audience members. Summarizing and quoting are considered as two essential terms of analysis.
5) Key termsYou should also try to add some terms in your essay. The key terms of your essay should be clear and these key terms should appear throughout in your essay. These key terms should be appropriate to the subject in your hand. There is no need to make these terms complex for the audience members by adding some clichés or abstractions.
6) AssumptionsTo make invertible assumptions is also a responsibility of a writer. These assumptions should be understandable for the audience members. Its reason is that these understandable assumptions are easily taken by the audience members. On the other hand, if you have taken some unclear or unarguable assumptions in your essay, these assumptions will not be acknowledged by the audience members.
7) SourcesTo write a scholarly essay, you will have to gather data from different sources. These sources should be authentic. Moreover, after gathering data from these sources, you should try to acknowledge these sources in the citation section. Typical forms of sources that you can add in your scholarly essay are given below;
A) Factual information
B) Interpretations of your topic idea
C) Some comparable versions relevant to your topic idea
D) Some applicable and general concepts