Definition, Importance, And Steps Of Research Design
Research design and steps of research design is very important part of research proposal, research paper and dissertation writing tasks. In this informative post by The Academic Papers UK, you will get to know about the definition of research design, importance of research design and steps of research design. Along with this, some essential elements of research design are also explained;
Definition, Importance, And Steps Of Research Design
Some essential elements of research design are explained below;
1) It is necessary for us to explain the accurate purpose statement in the research design.
2) It is also necessary for us to provide an overview of the techniques that are necessary for us to gather enough data for the research paper.
3) To provide complete details of the methods that are required to analyze the collected data
4) Complete detail about the research methodology that is required to gather enough data for your research paper
5) The setting of the research study
6) Complete detail about the timeline to gather enough data for research methodology
Importance of research designs
There are lots of benefits to designing research designs for the researchers. Some of these benefits are explained below;
1) With the help of these research designs, it is possible for us to gain insight into the possible methods of the research instructions.
2) While checking these research designs, teachers can’t show biasing and they have to be reflective.
3) With the help of research designs, it is also possible for us to shape the intuitive practice of research.
4) The researchers have enough control over the variables of research.
5) It is also possible for the researchers to perform experiments on the basis of this research design.
6) For rigour, it is also possible for us to combine this research method with other research methods.
7) It is also possible for the researchers to determine what is best for the population.
8) With the help of this research design, it is also possible for us to get more transferable results.
Steps of research design
To write a research design, you will have to follow some specific steps. Some essential steps that you should follow while writing a research design are given below;
1) Defining a problem
First of all, you will have to define the problem. You should try to define your problem in such a way that readers can easily get an idea of what you are going to research and how your research is strongly related to your study. It is possible only if you try to clearly explain all the operational terms in the research design. Therefore, before defining your problem in the research design, you should take an overview of this problem from all the aspects.
2) Data sources
It is a fact that to write a research paper, it is necessary for the students to gather data from different resources. Therefore, after defining the problem, the students should try to provide a list of all the resources from where you will gather data for your research paper. These resources can be in the form of library books, personal documents, fieldwork and journal articles, etc.
3) Nature of research
It is also necessary for you to provide an idea about the nature of research in the research design. By providing an idea about the nature of research, you will be in a better position to write your research design by choosing a statistical, experimental or comparative kind of study. Moreover, you should also try to provide an idea about all the subsequent stages in planning that are required to describe relevance to the proposed problem.
4) The objective of the study
Either you are going to write your research paper by adopting theoretical understanding or experimental understanding, it is necessary for you to provide a clear objective of the study in the research design. Its reason is that by adopting a clear design of the study, you will be able to get proper responses from the respondents.
5) Social-Cultural context
You should set your research design by keeping in mind the social-cultural context. Its reason is that by setting the social-cultural context in your research design, it will be easy for you to set clear conceptual references in your research paper.
6) Temporal context
While designing the research design, it is also necessary for you to keep in mind the temporal context. In this temporal context, it is necessary for you that you should have enough idea about the physical limit of design. Its reason is that by describing the physical limit of your research paper, it will be easy for you to link your hypothesis with the actual results of your research paper. With the help of this temporal context, it is also possible for the reader to get an idea either your research paper is linked to a specific group or you are going to present general results.
It is a fact that it is almost impossible for you to analyze the data which is gathered from the whole universe. Therefore, while setting a research design, it is also necessary for you to set an acceptable and representative sample. This sample will facilitate you while setting design for your research.
8) Basis of selection
No doubt, to choose the right sample is a critical step for the students but by following some specific steps, it is possible for the researchers to overcome difficulties of selecting the best and right sample. Students should try to set such a research sample that should be scientifically valid and it should also be free from bias.
9) Methods of data collection
There are two possible methods to gather the data for a research paper. First is known as qualitative research methodology and second is known as a quantitative research methodology. It is necessary for the students to provide an overview of specific research methodology which is necessary to gather the data for the academic paper.